Monday, June 21, 2010

Requirement for Overseers

Requirement for Overseers

S - 1 Tim 3: 1-7 (NASB)
1It is a trustworthy statement: if any man aspires to the office of overseer, it is a fine work he desires to do.
2An overseer, then, must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, temperate, prudent, respectable, hospitable, able to teach,

3not addicted to wine or pugnacious, but gentle, peaceable, free from the love of money.

4He must be one who manages his own household well, keeping his children under control with all dignity

5(but if a man does not know how to manage his own household, how will he take care ofthe church of God?),

6and not a new convert, so that he will not become conceited and fall into thecondemnation incurred by the devil.

7And he must have a good reputation with those outside the church, so that he will not fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

O - These are the requirements I am to aspire to. When I first read these requirements a few years ago, I thought I might be ready to be an overseer, but now realize that a degree of maturity in ones walk is what is required, showing the ability to lead a small group of church members, and my own family according to His word first, before I seek to lead a much larger congregation.

A - The area's I need to focus on in preparation for God's plan for my life are learning to be gentle and peaceable, and free from the love of money, followed by leading my household well with children that are under control. I am still learning how to shepherd the lives of my children and divorce our families lifestyle from the love of money, but I know see these as learning and growing opportunities to prepare my family for the future calling.



P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for today's scripture that speaks truth into my life. I pray that you would help me to grow into the leader of my own family that you desire me to be so that I may lead them well, and one day follow your calling on my life to be an overseer. I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment