Monday, April 19, 2010

Beware of practicing righteousness for the praise of man

Beware of practicing righteousness for the praise of man
(Seven habits - godliness)
S- Matt 6:1 (NASB)
Beware of practicing your righteousness before men to be noticed by them; otherwise you have no reward with your Father who is in heaven.

O - On our journey to be transformed by God into the people He desires us to be we will run into our own desires and pride. We seek godliness as character and habit that God can use, but we must be aware of the temptation to seek validation and glorification from men when displaying our godliness rather, than seeking to please the Father who is in Heaven.

A - The application for me is immediate and long term. Today I face the very struggle of being disappointed when my attempt to do something godly is not accepted by man. I realize somewhere in me is the disappointment in looking like a failure in front of other men and maybe more hidden deeply is the fact that my need for validation from man is not being fed. I must recognize it is not about me receiving glory for something God has asked me to do, but rather God receiving the glory because of what and how I do things. I am to do them in such a way that magnifies Him and minimizes me, because the world truly needs more of Him and less of me.

P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for today's lesson, may it be sealed to my heart. I pray Lord that you would mentor me in your ways of leading a godly life, and help me defend myself from my pride and rid me from need of validation from anyone other than you. I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment