Thursday, September 26, 2013

Leadership lesson: Humble yourself today

s psalm 113
Who is like the Lord our God,
Who is enthroned on high,
6 Who [c]humbles Himself to behold
The things that are in heaven and in the earth?
7 He raises the poor from the dust
And lifts the needy from the ash heap,
8 To make them sit with [d]princes,
With the [e]princes of His people.
9 He makes the barren woman abide in the house
As a joyful mother of children.
[f]Praise [g]the Lord!

Psalm 127
Unless the Lord builds the house,
They labor in vain who build it;
Unless the Lord guards the city,
The watchman keeps awake in vain.
2 It is vain for you to rise up early,
To [a]retire late,
To eat the bread of [b]painful labors;
For He gives to His beloved even in his sleep

Luke 7 nasb
The Test of Greatness
46 An argument [aa]started among them as to which of them might be the greatest. 47 But Jesus, knowing [ab]what they were thinking in their heart, took a child and stood him by His side, 48 and said to them, “Whoever receives this child in My name receives Me, and whoever receives Me receives Him who sent Me; for the one who is least among all of you, this is the one who is great.”
49 John answered and said, “Master, we saw someone casting out demons in Your name; and we tried to prevent him because he does not follow along with us.” 50 But Jesus said to him, “Do not hinder him; for he who is not against you is [ac]for you.”

O -  Wow,  how amazing the connection in three different scriptural locations of God's principle of Humbleness.   This is between two or three different writers in the bible, but one author , God the Father, that the principle of humbleness.   In psalm 113 the example of how God lifts of the humble of spirit.  (Beattitudes connection).  In Psalm 127 - is the example of the Lord not only lifts those poor in spirit, he helps build those humble good in spirit people to help build and guard their house , even despite their hard labors.  In fact the lord provides in their sleep as well as in their labor.   Then Jesus comes in luke 7 and explains to us (speaking to his disciples in scripture when they begin discussing who is greatest among the disciples) that it is he whom is able to receive a child with humble gentleness ,    whomever puts himself last, will be first.  (Paradoxical commandment).

A -  The application for me is to recognize  that for me I need to ensure I am following God's commandments and values, that I humble my spirit, especially when facing challenging situations in which my aggressive and defensive spirit rises.   I need to build my family, and my ministry (home, work, and church) not on my hard labors but on his power.  Last of all I must die to whom is the greatest among those in the things I am doing (the trap of comparing myself to others and not to Christ).  I am to receive each in need with humbleness and serve them with God's grace and love.

P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for this inspiring devotion this morning I pray you would transform my heart and mind to live this biblical truths.  I thank you Jesus for walking with me daily and gracefully picking me up when I fall short of your standard.  I pray this in Jesus name.

No comments:

Post a Comment