Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Investigating the truth


S- Luke 1 (NASB)
1 Inasmuch as many have undertaken to compile an account of the things [a]accomplished among us, 2 just as they were handed down to us by those who from the beginning [b]were eyewitnesses and [c]servants of the [d]word, 3 it seemed fitting for me as well, having [e]investigated everything carefully from the beginning, to write it out for you in consecutive order, most excellent Theophilus; 4 so that you may know the exact truth about the things you have been [f]taught.

O - In the commentary on Luke the it says that Luke wrote this very chronological history of what happened when Christ came and went during his ministry here on earth.  I am not sure but am interested to know how the stories where past around and then captured on paper.  For example in this chapter is the chronicle of Zachariah, the father of John the Baptist and his encounter with an angel.  Luke seems to be capturing the stories that were passed on , or did he in his life's mission, travel to Zechariah's house and get a first account from Zechariah as to what the angel said. Luke said it the information was "handed down to us from eyewitnesses and servants of God.    I trust in the Holy Spirits leading of Luke and the correctness of the text but just think it interesting to understand the text was likely not written through direct inspiration such as John and the book of revelations, but rather purposed to ensure that it was documented, first for his friend Theophilus but in God's purpose for the foundation of our faith.

A -  Perhaps I should learn from Luke who did not rely soley on the Holy Spirits inspiration but investigated for the accounts.  I think we (I)  are supposed to investigate for ourselves the truth in the scripture by understanding more about what is written.  For example , historical context of text,   who the author was, what were his influences.  The purpose the text was being written.   I know Pastor Rod and a few others in my life have spoken into the need for this expository study of the word of God. I am encouraged today to use more resource like Mathew Henry's commentary,   and J Vernon McGee's audio commentaries to better understand and reflect on scripture.

P -  Dear heavenly Father, thank Lord for this opportunity and devine inspiration to again become hungry for your word.  I pray Lord that you would continue to lead me daily through revelation and inspiration and knowledge of your word.  I pray Jesus that you would help me plant these lessons deep in my heart, and help me raise my children in such a way as to help them know you, love your word, and serve the church.  In Jesus name I pray, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment