Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Hope of relief in God's mercy


S -jerimiah 3


 Hope of Relief in God’s Mercy

19 Remember my affliction and my [e]wandering, thewormwood and bitterness.
20 Surely my soul remembers
And is bowed down within me.
21 This I recall to my mind,
Therefore I have hope.
22 The Lord’s lovingkindnesses [f]indeed never cease,
For His compassions never fail.
23 They are new every morning;
Great is Your faithfulness.
24 “The Lord is my portion,” says my soul,
“Therefore I have hope in Him.”
25 The Lord is good to those who wait for Him,
To the [g]person who seeks Him.
26 It is good that he waits silently
For the salvation of the Lord.
27 It is good for a man that he should bear
The yoke in his youth.
28 Let him sit alone and be silent
Since He has laid it on him.
29 Let him [h]put his mouth in the dust,
Perhaps there is hope.
30 Let him give his cheek to [i]the smiter,
Let him be filled with reproach.
31 For the Lord will not reject forever,
32 For if He causes grief,
Then He will have compassion
According to His abundant lovingkindness.
33 For He does not afflict [j]willingly
Or grieve the sons of men.
34 To crush under His feet
All the prisoners of the [k]land,
35 To [l]deprive a man of justice
In the presence of the Most High,
36 To [m]defraud a man in his lawsuit—
Of these things the Lord does not [n]approve.
37 Who is [o]there who speaks and it comes to pass,
Unless the Lord has commanded it?
38 Is it not from the mouth of the Most High
That [p]both good and ill go forth

O -  The verses here are written by the prophet Jeremiah who has spent some time prophesying what the Lord was going to do with the people of Israel and Judah.  He both tells them why the Lord is about to act, and also gives them a opportunity for repentance.   This portion feels like it is Jeremiahs testimony to those who are about to journey through the seige of Jerusalem and exile to Bablyon,  he gives both hope and posture for how we are to respond in light of God's sovereignty over our lives.

A -   Lord your word is sufficient for me to know you and understand your will for my life.   I understand whether in affliction or blessing,  abundance or scarcity of resource,  joyful times, or times of morning,  you are on the throne.  I believe you are good, and that you have good plans for me.  

P - Dear heavenly Father thank you for your love and character that reigns over my life in such a loving way.   Thank you for ruling with truth, might, and grace.    I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment