Tuesday, June 25, 2013

My life scripture - the key to peace

S-
Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice! Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you. (Philippians 4:4-9 NASB)

O - this is my life verse paragraph. Paul describes here how we are to live as a Christian full off confidence and joy. It is both an exhortation and an instruction. First we are to rejoice...always. How we are to accomplish this joy always is given by a number of things. First just express you joy outwardly regardless of your circumstances. Second, trust that The Lord is near and present your prayers to God . Lastly focus on what is true and excellent and lovely. The results of practicing these personal disciplines is a peace that goes beyond all of life's circumstances.

A - the application for me is to practice these habits not just once a day in my quiet time in the morning but throughout my day. This is my next level of growth challenge. To let my gentle spirit lead me throughout the day and when situations present themselves to me which threaten that peace and begin to bring anxiety, I need to internally pause and pray, allow Gods only spirit in me to restore His peace. I am to moment by moment ensure I am stay focused on what is true and positive in the day and surrounding me, and not get caught letting my mind travel down a path of negative things and lies to entertain my thoughts.

P - dear Heavenly Father thank you for today's devotions. I pray that you would help me to practice and live these disciplines and principles. It is the core principles that I need based on who I am. You have made me wonderfully and perfectly for a purpose, but because of my own prior decisions and the affects of living in a fallen world, I need these habits deeply ingrained in me to continue to live and serve you with the best of who you created me to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment