Sunday, February 5, 2012

Giving God His much deserved honor

Giving God His much deserved honor

S - Acts 12:20-23 (NASB)

Death of Herod
20 Now he was very angry with the people of Tyre and Sidon; and with one accord they came to him, and having won over Blastus the king's chamberlain, they were asking for peace, because their country was fed by the king's country.21 On an appointed day Herod, having put on his royal apparel, took his seat on the rostrum and began delivering an address to them.22 The people kept crying out, "The voice of a god and not of a man!"23 And immediately an angel of the Lord struck him because he did not give God the glory, and he was eaten by worms and died .

O -  20. Although Tyre and Sidon were free cities, they were dependent for their food upon the grain of Galilee in Herod's kingdom. For some unknown reason Herod was angry with these two cities. And so, to make peace with him, they presumably bribed Blastus to intercede with the king and gain a hearing for them. 21. The set day, according to Josephus, was a feast in honor of the Emperor. To receive the delegates from Tyre and Sidon in state, Herod arrayed himself in robes made entirely of silver. 22, 23. Pagans commonly attributed divine attributes to their rulers. Josephus relates that after delivering this oration, Herod was struck down with a violent pain in the stomach and was carried to the palace, where, after five days of suffering, he died. His death occurred in a.d. 44, and Judea was then placed under Roman governors, two of whom (Felix and Festus) appear in the later narrative of Acts.—Wycliffe Bible Commentary, The

A -  The application for me is in the mere understanding of the author's of the bible's accounts, and the the detailed history available for understanding what is going on in a given time in the bible.  I believe the bible is the  word of God, written to expose to man who God is, and reveal Jesus as Lord and savior.  It is perfectly sufficient to do so.  But in seeing the commentaries description and background of why and how Herod was killed actually serves its purpose to better understand what was happening and not allow our imagination to fill in the blanks.  I say that because I know as man, I have that natural tendency to take what God has given and supplement it with my own thoughts and understandings.   The story of Herod's death and being struck down gives me a picture of being smote immediately which is not necessarily something I can say I can relate to and therefore conjure up some supernatural picture of what happened.   Through Josephus' account, which I suppose has its own biases and perspectives,  we see a more relate-able story of a man not given God glory, then being stricken by a powerful disease and dieing after five days.   This does not make it any less God, or any less relevant in revealing that God is a jealous God, but it is does something to affirm the story, take away the folklore nature of just the bible as a good story, as well as give the reader a perspective to carry forward in their life today.   As a Christian my take away is not to be afraid of being instantly smote by God (though God fearing is a good and humble trait), but rather to understand my own nature to not give glory to God for the things He is doing in my life, and to take the time to do that.

P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for today's lesson, may it be sealed to my heart.  I repent Lord for all the opportunities I have had to give you credit, and glorify your  name, and have been silent.    I pray pray Lord you would continue to give me opportunities to do so, and instruct me, and encourage me to give you all the praise and glory for what you are doing in my life.  I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment