Thursday, February 23, 2012

Called as disciples to a new convenant

Called as disciples to a new covenant

S - Mark 2
14 As He passed by, He saw Levi the son of Alphaeus sitting in the tax booth, and He *said to him, Follow Me!” And he got up and followed Him.
 15 And it *happened that He was reclining at the table in his house, and many tax collectors and sinners were dining with Jesus and His disciples; for there were many of them, and they were following Him. 16 When the scribes of the Pharisees saw that He was eating with the sinners and tax collectors, they said to His disciples, “Why is He eating and drinking with tax collectors and sinners?”
...
 21 “No one sews a patch of unshrunk cloth on an old garment; otherwise the patch pulls away from it, the new from the old, and a worse tear results. (new disciples) 22 No one puts new wine into old wineskins; otherwise the wine will burst the skins, and the wine is lost and the skins as well; but one puts new wine into fresh wineskins.(new disciples)

O -  So why did Jesus choose Mathew, a tax collector, and Peter a fisherman, and the likes to be His disciples.  The answer lies in verse 21, that Jesus new that it would take someone from the average common people who were in need of a savior and worn by these circumstances, so that they may patch up the rest of the people.  You see a tax collector can minister to a tax collector, and a fisherman to a fisherman.   Asking a Pharisee to be relate-able to a tax collector, or even worse to serve a tax collector (for salvation sake) was not in the culture. That is why Jesus says it another way.  You don't put new wine (or this new covenant of grace ) in the old wine skins (the Pharisaical like) but they cannot contain this new wine. So Jesus chose a different set of disciples to follow him.

A - The application for me is to recognize I am a new wineskin, whom Jesus has poured out his forgiveness and grace.   I have lived a common life, tossed about by the ways of the world, anqd influenced by my sinful nature.  I am now called to minister to those who have lived a life like I have.  For me this is Naval officers,  professional men and women. 

P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for today's lesson, may it be sealed to my heart.  I pray Lord that you would help me to see those who you are calling me to minister to .    I pray for boldness of spirit, and wisdom of words, that would lead your people back to you Lord.  I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment