Saturday, February 11, 2012

Christ our loving scapegoat
S - Lev 16:8-10 (NASB)
8 Aaron shall cast lots for the two goats, one lot for the LORD and the other lot for the scapegoat. 9 Then Aaron shall offer the goat on which the lot for the LORD fell, and make it a sin offering. 10 But the goat on which the lot for the scapegoat fell shall be presented alive before the LORD, to make atonement upon it, to send it into the wilderness as the scapegoat.


O-  Wow the study of the old testament can seem simple, be deep, and even controversial.  As I dive into the study of the old testament, I realize I am not the first, and that many great Christians and theologians have study and dissected it, leaving a number of interpretations to consider.   In researching the scapegoat and symbolic nature of the the atonement process know as Yom Kippur in the Jewish faith, we see that Aaron is instructed once a year to make atonement for the entire congregation.  He first makes a sin offering with a Bull, which I assume is so he is reconciled before he serves the people.  Then he takes the tow goats, and offers the first one up as payment for the sins of the people.  This I believe parallels the death Christ faced on the Christ as payment of our penalty for our sins.  The second goat, has the sins of the people laid on it, and  represents the second nature of Christ that has risen and taken away our sins.  


A - The application for me today is to recognize all of God's scripture is designed to lead us to a understanding and glorification of who God and Christ are.   While there may be drama and differences over interpretation, there is no drama in my heart, knowing Christ dwells in me, and will continue to guide me in my walk, free of the burdens of guilt and shame.


P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for today's lesson, may it be sealed to my heart.  I pray Lord you would continue to open my heart and mind to your scripture, and reveal to me your truth.  In Jesus name I pray, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment