Saturday, March 27, 2010

Trusting in God's promises

Trusting in God's promises

S- Judges 2

Israel Rebuked

1Now (A)the angel of the LORD came up from Gilgal to (B)Bochim And he said, "(C)I brought you up out of Egypt and led you into the land which I have sworn to your fathers; and I said, '(D)I will never break My covenant with you,
2and as for you, (E)you shall make no covenant with the inhabitants of this land; (F)you shall tear down their altars.' But you have not obeyed Me; what is this you have done?

3"Therefore I also said, '(G)I will not drive them out before you; but they will [a]become (H)as thorns in your sides and their gods will be a snare to you.'"
Judges 3

1(A)Now these are the nations which the LORD left, to test Israel by them (that is, all who had not experienced any of the wars of Canaan;

2only in order that the generations of the sons of Israel might be taught war, those who had not experienced it formerly).

3These nations are: the five lords of the Philistines and all the Canaanites and the Sidonians and (B)the Hivites who lived in Mount Lebanon, from Mount Baal-hermon as far as Lebo-hamath.

4They were for (C)testing Israel, to find out if they would obey the commandments of the LORD, which He had commanded their fathers through Moses.

O - The observation here is merely that we see that with disobedience comes consequence, and in many cases long term consequences, generationally. The Lord had given the Israelites the promised land, and despite early victories and proof of His promise being fullfilled, they were not obedient in taking fully the land He promised them, and completely ridding themselves of the people God had told them to. As a result of disobedience, God allowed these that stayed behind to be a thorn in Israels slide even today. God continued to use these people to test the Israelites obedience to what He had commanded.

A - Thank God I have been saved by grace, and my past sins no longer burden me; however I need to recognize the Israelite in me, and that my tendency is to wander away from God's promises and as a result I miss God's best for me. I need to be sure to stand fast on God's promises, and walk in them. To not walk on them is to invite the natural consequences of the world to take over, and while God has plans for your good, the world has other plans.

P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for today's lesson, may it be sealed to my heart. I pray Lord that you would reveal in me any disobedience to your ways that I may be blind to , so that I may repent and return to your promises. I pray all this in Jesus Christ name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment