Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Circumcision of the heart

Circumcision of the heart
S - Deut 30:6 (NASB)
"Moreover the LORD your God will circumcise your heart and the heart of your descendants,to love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul, so that you may live.

O - This is first time God highlighted for me the act of spiritual circumcision. The physical act of circumcision is familiar but what God is revealing to me is that the promise even in the old testament was that when becoming the people of God his promise is not to circumcise flesh but their hearts. The definition of circumcision is the extinction of passions and the removal of spiritual impurity. That does not me he removes our passions for things of life, but rather removes our passions for things that are not of God, for God, and according to His righteousness. Honestly that is what we need, a God willing to take away what is inside of us, that we ourselves cannot get rid of on our own. Our salvation is not for us to earn, or work on achieving, rather it is simply surrendering our hearts to God so He might perform a heart circumcision, removing all the past hurts, and scars, the impurities that have been implanted over the years in us, that we might live with a free pure heart to love Him, and love others.

A - The application for me is to ensure I am submitted to God, and open to His spiritual circumcision. Practically speaking this is accomplished by submitting myself to His word daily, that would circumcise my heart; to submit to His spirit daily, whose voice would circumcise my heart, and to submit to those spiritual leaders he has placed in my life daily, so that my actions might reflect one who has been circumcised of the the heart.

P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for today's devotion, may it be sealed to my heart. I pray Lord that you would circumcise my heart of any impurities that remain, so that I and my family may live lives of loving you, and loving those you are seeking to bring home to you. I pray all this in Jesus Christ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment