Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Building the foundation with the right material

S HEB 6:1-2 NASB
Therefore leaving the elementary teaching about the Christ, let us press on to maturity, not laying again a foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God, of instruction about washings and laying on of hands, and the resurrection of the dead and eternal judgment.
...
HEB 6:4-6 NASB
For in the case of those who have once been enlightened and have tasted of the heavenly gift and have been made partakers of the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, and then have fallen away, it is impossible to renew them again to repentance, since they again crucify to themselves the Son of God and put Him to open shame.

O -  Paul (I assume) is laying it on heavy to the believers in Jerusalem because they face the challenge of complacency.  They were the first church to believe and be planted, and they are also surrounded by a old culture that has already fallen away from God's ways despite centuries of God leading them.  What Paul is exhorting hear is to press on to maturity for the sake of growing deep roots in Christ.    Christ is the cornerstone of the foundation but if we build the rest of the foundation on previous dead wood (works) vice the more of the solid rock of Christ,  we may not ever have a chance to be "saved" again.

A - For me I love this exhortation.  I respond well to prompting to press in deep and build deep solid foundations which can't be moved.  I too though am weak in that I can wrongly choose the wrong building materials.  Today I am reminded that though I have had the elementary teachings of Christ, I must press in to deeper maturity and understand of who Jesus is in my life and how to grow in deep relationship with Him everyday.  The building material is God's word, the helper is the holy spirit, and the carpenter and architect is Jesus Christ, my Lord and savior.

P - Dear heavenly Father thank you for today's reminder to press on and press in.  Thank you for Jesus for drawing me back to solidify the foundation on which you are building my spiritual house.  Holy Spirit thank you for dwelling in me, and speaking to me , so that each day I might get closer to the Kingdom of Heaven.
In Jesus name I pray, amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment