Monday, July 14, 2014

A growing faith

S Hebrews 11:13 NLT
All these people died still believing what God had promised them. They did not receive what was promised, but they saw it all from a distance and welcomed it. They agreed that they were foreigners and nomads here on earth.

Hebrews 11:24-25 NLT
It was by faith that Moses, when he grew up, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh’s daughter. He chose to share the oppression of God’s people instead of enjoying the fleeting pleasures of sin.

Hebrews 11:39-40 NLT
All these people earned a good reputation because of their faith, yet none of them received all that God had promised. For God had something better in mind for us, so that they would not reach perfection without us.

O - This chapter , often called the hall of faith, speaks to a key character trait without which following God is nearly impossible (o.k. all things are possible through God).   Paul uses bible figures of the past to encourage the new church (made up of old testament  believers) to focus on what faith is in following God, and now walking in the finished work of Christ. 

A - The application for me is simply one of being mentored by faithful men and women who have followed God.  These have been captured in the bible in a way that year after year I can be mentored to have a growing faith that is modeled after heroes from the bible.  Three elements of faith are highlighted in this scripture that I want to apply to my life today:
1.  Belief in his promises beyond my lifetime
2.  Constant identity as a follower of Christ
3.  A growing but not perfect faith

P - Dear heavnely Father, thank you for today's lesson, may it be sealed to my heart. I am blessed by the promises you have given me, and the prompting to keep pressing forward, in faith.  I pray for courage to continue to press forward in faith toward your promises.  I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment