Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Be holy and righteous - running the race to win

S Hebrews 12:1 NLT
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us.

Hebrews 12:14-15 NLT
Work at living in peace with everyone, and work at living a holy life, for those who are not holy will not see the Lord. Look after each other so that none of you fails to receive the grace of God. Watch out that no poisonous root of bitterness grows up to trouble you, corrupting many.

O -  Paul continues to build his exhortation and edification to the Hebrews as he builds a strong case for firm faith, grounded in the truth of Jesus Christ.   He recognizes that the New Covenant is both a promise fulfilled but also for all a new paradigm for loving and following God.  In verse one we see explaining to just look around you in your community of faith and see the transformed lives that have been unburdened by their sin and now live a new life (this is likely more apparent for new believers).  But a reminder is needed to us that we are to continue to unload the weight of the consequences of our past sin, and to be sure not to re-clothe ourselves with the sins of the past and yoke ourselves to the Gospel of Good works.      Verses 14-15 go more to our hearts and minds, to remind us that when we live holy and pleasing life unto God, a peace is  granted to us, despite surrounding circumstances.

A-  The application for me is to recognize that I am to surround myself with believers who can witness to me the life that faith in Christ brings.   I am reminded to not let my past thoughts and sins weigh me down but look forward through the eyes of Christ.  I am also reminded that I need to live in peace with everyone.  I am on journey in this area, and need to see those around me not as challengers to my thoughts and way of life, but as God's creation, working out their own salvation, day to day.  

P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for today's lesson, may it be sealed to my heart.   I pray Lord that you would transform my heart and mind each day to become more of the man you created me to be.  I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment