Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Two sins unwrapped (unrighteousness, and sin leading to death)


Two sins unwrapped (unrighteousness, and sin leading to death)

 S - 1 John 5:16-20 (NASB)
 16 If anyone sees his brother committing a sin not leading to death, he shall ask and God will for him give life to those who commit sin not leading to death. There is a sin leading to death; I do not say that he should make request for this. 17 All unrighteousness is sin, and there is a sin not leading to death.
 18 We know that no one who is born of God sins; but He who was born of God keeps him, and the evil one does not touch him. 19 We know that we are of God, and that the whole world lies in the power of the evil one. 20And we know that the Son of God has come, and has given us understanding so that we may know Him who is true; and we are in Him who is true, in His Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God and eternal life.
O -  I am always amazed that each time I read books in the bible I am renewed in a new way.  John is one of my favorite authors in the bible, his purity of thought and heart always is deep and meaningful.   Here we see him tackling what I believe to be the issue of sin among believers.   It is a complicated matter that only the spirit of God can help us truly understand.  John here does a good job of making some subtle distinctions.  First, we may actually see our brothers committing sins, and these sins may not lead to death.  When we do we are to seek God.  We are to seek God because the distinction is perhaps hard for us to understand, the sin that leads to death vice the sin that comes from unrighteousness.  One we can pray for , the other is out of our hands completely.  Second,  that one who is born of God does not sin, and is separated from the devil.  So wrapping it all together into who we are in Christ, and what we can expect in our community of believers is the challenge for me.

A - I believe the application to me to be and understanding from the perspective of a maturity spectrum.   I believe that when I was first saved, my sins were forgiven, and grace washed over me, not for what I deserved but for the decision Christ made.  I became born new and began walking with Christ (more like crawling).   I forgiven for the past, but continued to stumble at times with unrighteous moments in my life.  Not necessarily sin that leads to death (I believe that to be to reject what I have already accepted, Christ, and His spirit in me), but rather moments of being less than God has created me to be, and even to some level immature ignorance of the spirits prompting.    But as I have grown in Christ, the distance between me and sin that causes death grows, and the sensitivity to the spirits leadership in my life, lessens the instances of unrighteousness, until one day I look forward to being cleansed of all unrighteous behavior.   Thankfully, for now I can lean on repentance and correction from the Father to guide me in my walk towards righteousness.   

P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for this incredible lesson today, may it be sealed to my heart.  I pray Lord that you would continue to grow me and guide me in my understanding and obedience to your ways, and your spirits leadership of my life.  I pray all this in Jesus Christ name, Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment