Tuesday, August 23, 2011

New Covenant proclaimed by Jeremiah


New Covenant proclaimed by Jeremiah

 S - Jer 31: 33-34  (NASB)
 “But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days,” declares the LORD, “I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 34 They will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, ‘Know the LORD,’ for they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them,” declares the LORD, “for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more.”

O - Have you ever thought that God just might be winging it.  It seems unimaginable that he can have a full plan for each and everyone of us.  In Jer 29:11 we learn he has a plan not for our calamity but for a hopeful future.   As I read Jeremiah and recognize the time frame in which it was written (some 600 years before Christ),  I recognize what a plan God has for us, for our salvation and restoration.  That plan went in to effect as soon as Adam and Eve brought sin into the world, and became separated from God.  This scripture reveals the part of the plan that is so significant compared to the old covenant.   In the old convenant God gave Moses the law on stone tablets, and asked Moses to lead God's people, in obedience to the law.   In this new covenant the law will be written on their hearts, within each person, so that they won't wander from it, or misinterpret it, like I had been the case of the people of the old covenant.

A -  The application for me is to walk in the truth that I am not an old covenant follower of God but rather a new covenant creation,  reborn with a new spirit, and the law of God written on my heart,  and I know the living God who leads me.   I can still relate to the struggles of the old testament Israelites, in that my flesh can wander from God's law, but I know the truth that I have God's spirit and law within me and that I can overcome this old nature in me and represent God and His people well, despite my old nature.

P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for today's lesson, may it be sealed to my heart.  I pray Lord that you would continue to dwell in me and that your law would be a daily reminder of your will for me and your people.  Thank you Lord for the transformative power of your spirit, and the sacrifice of your son for my sins, so that I may walk in freedom from my old self and be a new creation in Christ.  I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment