Thursday, August 25, 2011

Eternal commandment revived - Love one another


Eternal commandment revived - Love one another


S - 2 John 1:4-6 (NASB)
 4 I was very glad to find some of your children walking in truth, just as we have received commandment to do from the Father. 5 Now I ask you, lady, not as though I were writing to you a new commandment, but the one which we have had from the beginning, that we love one another. 6And this is love, that we walk according to His commandments. This is the commandment, just as you have heard from the beginning, that you should walk in it.

O - Why don't I remember John speaking so simply and profoundly this common and simple commandment.  Perhaps I was not ready to receive the truth in its entirety.  I am sometimes so intensely seeking the profound and complicated truth that the simple truth can pass me by.  The simple truth is not revealed here but reaffirmed by John that from the beginning God commanded us to love one another.  And the love he speaks of walks according to His ways, which He has spelled out since the beginning.   The only difference from the beginning is  that through Christ restoration has been given so we may eternally walk in His commandments and love one another.

A -  The application for me is painstakingly simple, I must love others as God loves, them, according to His commandments.  I am called to love them like God is loving me; with grace, with righteousness, and with compassion.  I am to love them with they eyes and heart of a Father willingly to sacrifice all for the sake of restored relationship, and a heart so pure it can't stand to tolerate rebellion and independence,  but rather values committed relationship, and dependence.

P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for today's devotion, may it be sealed to my heart.  I pray Lord that you would continue to grow my heart to love like you love, to see what you see, and to do what you are doing.  I pray this in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment