Friday, August 19, 2011

Following Jesus in ministry


Following Jesus in ministry

S -  John 21:6-7 (NASB)

“Children, you do not have any fish, do you?” They answered Him, “No.” 6 And He said to them, Cast the net on the right-hand side of the boat and you will find a catch.” So they cast, and then they were not able to haul it in because of the great number of fish. 7 Therefore that disciple whom Jesus loved *said to Peter, “It is the Lord.” So when Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he put his outer garment on (for he was stripped for work), and threw himself into the sea. 

O -  This scripture is rich in meaning and full of gems to live, learn, and grow by.    In this moment I see this scripture as a parable for ministry.  In context of this scripture we find some of the disciples fishing, their old occupation.   Now they had finished 3 incredible years of following Jesus daily, and learning who He really was , and how to serve God.   This is after His death and resurrection, and the scattering of the disciples, they did not immediately continue Jesus' ministry, despite Him already having revealed His resurrected self to them.   So Jesus meets them where they are, on a fishing excursion and points out to them the obvious, that they have caught no fish, or in parable talk - they have been fruitless in their labor.   So now Jesus directs them what to do, they obeyed, and miracles occurred, and then they recognized it was Jesus.   The model for us is to seek to recognize Jesus today, and obey, and fruit will come.

A - The application for me is to remember to constantly being seeking Jesus and his will in circumstances.   When I fall back to what the world has shown me I am, and Naval officer, an Engineer, and and project manager, I can get discouraged, and start trusting in my own skills and my own ways.  My lessons from the disciples, is to trust in all the Christ has done in my life, all that He has already promised for my life, and simply seek out and follow Jesus. 

P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for today's lesson, may it be sealed to my heart.  I pray Lord that you would be in my life in a significant way.  Thank you for answered prayers and delivered promises for orders to Monterey.  Please guide me to see what you would have me do during my time in Monterey.  I pray your will would be clear, and that my ideas that are not of you, I would quickly die to.  I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment