Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Anger management, the gift of learning to love others unconditionally

Anger management, the gift of learning to love others unconditionally

(seven habits - love others)

S - Eph 4:26-27,31-32 (NASB)

26BE ANGRY, AND yet DO NOT SIN; do not let the sun go down on your anger,

27and do not give the devil an opportunity.

...

31Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice.

32Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you.



O - I believe that I growing in this area of anger management, and reading a few familiar passages from Ephesians has caused me to re-assess how far I have come and yet how far I still need to go. I believe I truly understand now that I get angry, and that won't go away but how I respond is the important part. God does not want me to sin as a result of my anger. In this area I believe I have grown, I no longer immediately along my wicked tongue to spit fire and brimstone at people in response to my anger; however, the emotion of anger is still affecting my non-verbal communication of my anger and/or disapproval. That is why verses 31-32 are a good reminder of where I still need to work, I need to be sure I am letting all bitterness, wrath, and anger be put away that resides inside me.



A - The application for me is to work on the next level of anger management and transformation into a more Christ like response to circumstances that will come and bring up the anger emotion within me. In order to do this I need to focus on performing the actions listed in verse 31 -

1. Be kind to one another - act kindly, the feeling of love follows

2. Be tender hearted - empathetic to the other persons perspective

3. Forgive others - as God has forgiven me (grace)

These actions will allow me to set aside the anger, bitterness and wrath I hold inside of me so that I might love others how Christ loves me.

P - Dear heavenly Father I pray that you would help me in this area of anger management, that has such potential to inflict damage into relationships that surround me. I can not do this on my own, and ask for prompting and guidance of the holy spirit, as well as a deliverance from whatever lie or scar inside of me that my anger and lack of self control comes from. I pray this in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment