Wednesday, January 6, 2021

God's covenant with Abraham

 S -  Genesis 17:9-10    (NASB)

God said further to Abraham, “Now as for you, you shall keep My covenant, you and your [i]descendants after you throughout their generations. 10 This is My covenant, which you shall keep, between Me and you and your [j]descendants after you: every male among you shall be circumcised.

O -This is the second time God has promised to Abraham a covenant with his descendants.  He didn't believe the first time God told him this and he ended up fathering Ishmael with Hagar.  Now this time God fulfilled His promise to Abraham when he fathered Isaac with Sarah. 

A - The application for me is to recognize first off that I desire the same blessings for my family, but secondly and most important I am a descendant of Abraham and therefore have this blessing... but it is mine to keep or lose.  I must not disobey the Lord's commands for my life or my family will be more like Ishmael whose generations continued but not with the fullness of the promise of God.

P - Dear heavenly Father,  this is my hearts desire that my children and their children and their children's children would be blessed by your covenant with Abraham.  I know I may not be worthy of this promise because I continue to sin and disobey your commandments.  I am sorry for this and want to turn from my ways and turn toward you.  With your help God I can resist the devil.  I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment