Thursday, October 5, 2017

The humble will be exalted

The humble will be exalted
S Luke 18
9 And He also told this parable to some people who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and viewed others with contempt: 10 “Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11The Pharisee stood and was praying this to himself: ‘God, I thank You that I am not like other people: swindlers, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week; I pay tithes of all that I get.’ 13 But the tax collector, standing some distance away, was even unwilling to lift up his eyes to heaven, but was beating his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, the sinner!’ 14 I tell you, this man went to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted.”

O - Holy Spirit thank you for today's message. I prayed for guidance for a situation at work I am facing and at first read of this passage I didn't get it and now I do. This parable is about me. Who at times places too much trust in myself that I am righteous and at times views those who report to me with contempt because they are not acting in a disciplined manner or like I am ( I.e. Arrogant). Jesus is delivering the parable to his disciples so they understand their role is not to judge but to repent, to lead humbly and help others come to repentance. The picture he gives is of the Pharisee praying a long prayer how good he is versus the sinner who in few words repents.  God wants us to know those who humble themselves will be exalted in those who exalt themselves will be humbled.

A-The application is definitely for me is to be wary of my own self righteousness.   Throughout my life I have gone through many challenges where I felt incompetent and unworthy to do the job I was in. But God found a way to help me through those times despite my incompetency. my humble spirit is what allowed him to lead me and allowed me to hear him.  What I have to understand now is those I lead at times are feeling equally incompetent and I must do for them as Jesus has done for me. I must listen and wait for a humble spirit willing to listen. If I bulldoze my way in to give direction, it was not well received. Even the humble in spirit feel an offense when they are not ready to receive help.  I must remember to give each individual that the choice to choose to seek help.  Well that doesn't mean the passive and watch someone go to their destruction,  but it does mean that like Jesus has done for me, I wait watch and protect those he has given me to shepherd.  When someone is in harms way and unable to protect themselves I am obligated to be a good shepherd and Step in.



P- dear heavenly father, thank you for this message this morning. I pray that you would help me to be a good leader and wise counselor, and a good shepherd like Jesus. I pray this in Jesus Christ name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment