Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Forgiving like christ

Forgiving like Christ does
S Luke 17
1 He said to His disciples, “It is inevitable that stumbling blocks come, but woe to him through whom they come! 2 It would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck and he were thrown into the sea, than that he would cause one of these little ones to stumble. 3 Be on your guard! If your brother sins, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him. 4 And if he sins against you seven times a day, and returns to you seven times, saying, ‘I repent,’ forgive him.”

O-This  passage in Luke reminds me of a conversation I had with my own kids just yesterday. Jesus here is saying to the disciples there is innocence in men still, and in its purest form we have the children.  Children have not yet been worn down by the worlds ways and are in many cases closer to God's original intention for his creation, than us world torn adults. It is because of our evil ways, and in the influence of the devil in this world that our children become like us eventually separated from God because of sin.  God gives a warning that the person who is a stumbling block to repentance and reconnecting with God is much worse off than a simple sinner them selves. But then Jesus goes on to describe gods grace.   He says if a brother comes to you and repents we are to forgive them.   Because Jesus knows our cynical heart, he describes what we are to do if that same person sins against you seven times a day, he explains we are to forgive him even then. You see we think Grace is earned, God thinks Grace is his to give.  God would like us to be more and more like his son Jesus each and every day therefore we must learn to forgive with the grace that God does.

A - The application for me is actually very simple because of how Jesus has set the words and example to me what God's grace is. I need to forgive and show grace like Jesus does. Oh that doesn't mean I have to be soft on sin.  It means I have to hate the sin and not hate the sinner. It means that I can hold my brothers accountable but when in repentance comes I must be willing to freely give forgiveness. The second part of forgiveness is forgetfulness, in becoming more like Christ. No longer can I go back and hold onto the previous in on that person's account, I must move forward as if it never occurred. This could be a big challenge but I am confident through Christ all things are possible even in me a sinner who judges and holds grudges.


P-Dear heavenly father thank you for today's devotion. May it be sealed to my heart. Lord I pray that you would help me to respond to sin like Jesus did, and help me to give grace and forgiveness like you have exampled through your son.I pray this all in Jesus Christ name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment