Sunday, March 8, 2015

God's victory, not our glory

God's victory, not our glory
S - DEU 9:4 NASB

"Do not say in your heart when the Lord your God has driven them out before you, 'Because of my righteousness the Lord has brought me in to possess this land,' but it is because of the wickedness of these nations that the Lord is dispossessing them before you.

O - In this verse, Moses is getting ready to send the people across the Jordan and he is preparing them to have the right mindset before going in.  He tells them in prior versus that the people of the land are strong, tall, and fortified, but it will be the Lord who goes before them.   Then is this verse he is reminded them that it is not because of their righteousness that the Lord is giving them this land, but rather because of God's promise.  His promise to make a great nation of Abraham,  his promise to judge the wicked, and his promise to delivery His people from slavery unto the promised land.

A -  The application is one of humbleness.    When you are on the winning team, we have a tendency to become arrogant and entitled.   God knows this.   The message of the cross is one of what God did because we couldn't.   We couldn't defeat sin,  He did.   We couldn't restore fellowship with God on a personal level,  Christ did.     So when we receive this gift of salvation, and begin to walk in this gift, our flesh once again grows complacent and has a tendency to forget the undeserved and unearned gift that we have, and begins to feel it is earned and deserved.  For me, I am convicted today that I need to correct my attitude and posture daily.  That God has given me Grace, I have not earned it,  that God continues to set me up for his purposes and not my exaltation.  

P - Dear heavenly father, thank you for today's lesson may it be sealed to my heart.  I pray Lord that you would help me scrub my heart from any and all arrogance.  Help me Lord to honor you with my words, attitude, and actions.  I pray all this in Jesus name,  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment