Thursday, March 12, 2015

Faith that satisfies

Faith that satisfies
S -GAL 3:2-5 NASB

This is the only thing I want to find out from you: did you receive the Spirit by the works of the Law, or by hearing with faith? Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh? Did you suffer so many things in vain-if indeed it was in vain? So then, does He who provides you with the Spirit and works miracles among you, do it by the works of the Law, or by hearing with faith?

O-  I just caught that Paul is scolding the Galatians because they were starting to change the gospel by leaning on the law and works.   They were forgetting how they were actually saved, and likely as they lead themselves began to lean back on the rules of the law to maintain their "goodness".  They also likely began spreading this slightly adjusted gospel to those they were witnessing to.   But Paul, the former man of the Law, a Pharisee's Pharisee,  reminded them, that like for himself, the law never saved anyone,  god's grace, through his son Jesus, because of the promise to a faithfilled Abraham,  saved us, from ourselves, and our sin. 

A -  The application for me is to understand that grace rules!   That my own tendency to be comfortable with the law and my ability to earn my place or to earn my promise is real.   I can be driven internally to please someone , myself , or those who lead me, and once I know the rules I simply have to be disciplined and follow the rules.... but how often I am disappointed by this process.  It makes sense to me but it never satisfies.  The only thing that satisfies completely is the undeserved love and acceptance of my Father.  This brings peace, comfort, and satisfaction.   The application for me is to work and serve out of the abundance of this satisfaction and not in order to earn this satisfaction.

P - Dear heavenly father, thank you for today's lesson, may it be sealed to my heart.  I pray Lord you daily replenish my pool of satisfaction so that i might abundantly love and serve you and the people you have placed in my life.  I pray all this in Jesus name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment