Monday, December 15, 2014

Quick to listen, slow to speak and anger

S - James 1:19-20 (NASB)
 But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; 20for the anger of man does not achieve the righteousness of God. 
O-   This is an interesting passage from James whom I believe was Jesus' brother and whom became the leader of the church in Jerusalem. He was not one of the original 12 Apostles but he did have much influence on the early church.  He speaks of authority and experience in walking out the new faith in Christ and leading a life according to the new testament.  In chapter 1 we find him laying out principles of growing in strength and character as a Christian.  Then he reveals this simple and penetrating truth on what we must do to continue to grow.  We must be great listeners, thoughtful speakers, and not let anger over ride our actions and the righteousness of God.

A -  This verse is for me a needed constant reminder to change the pace at which I do things instinctively.  I must allow myself to listen longer, to understand the meaning and intent of what is being said.  I must pause and process, to ensure in the context of the situation, the context of God's word, and the prompting of the Holy Spirit I must speak truth in love, and this will all slow my anger and ensure my response is one that seeks to achieve God's righteousness.

P -  Dear heavenly Father,thank you for the things you are doing in my life.  Thank you for this refreshing season of restoration, and relief. Thank you for helping me endure the season of trial and come out on this side, still available to continue my path of seeking your will for my life.  I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment