Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Elders response and responsibility

1 tim 5:17-20 (NASB)
17The elders who rule well are to be considered worthy of double honor, especially those who work hard at preaching and teaching. 18For the Scripture says, "You shall not muzzle the ox while he is threshing," and "The laborer is worthy of his wages." 19Do not receive an accusation against an elder except on the basis of two or three witnesses. 20Those who continue in sin, rebuke in the presence of all, so that the rest also will be fearful of sinning

O - In context Paul is giving guidance to Timothy who is leading a church that Paul and Timothy had helped found.  He has been giving Timothy guidance on the qualities and qualifications of Elders and members of the church, and help govern a Christ honoring local church.   Should an elder meet all the criteria of service and then let him serve and do not allow his service be interrupted by quarrelsome issues.  Paul speaks of how to handle quarrels against an elder, and similar to the gospel by Matthew he warns that two or three should be the basis of an accusation against an elder, so as to prevent distraction but maintain an accountability. 

A - I think of my own Pastors, Wayne Cordeiro and Rod Shimabukuro,  they are worthy of double honor and are working hard at preaching and teaching.  They should be afforded whatever provision the congregation wishes to bestow on them, and should be sheltered from the chatter of individual complaints, but rather be subject to accusation of two or three honorable elders.    For me I must seek to not be disqualified as an elder through my own behavior at work and at home.  I must continue to seek God and his truth for my life, and participate in the good work He is doing in my local church, at my work, and at home.

P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for this gift you have given me of an opportunity to redeem my life for your purpose.  I pray during this stressful time that you would guard my heart and mind, and tame my tongue to ensure I don't lose the opportunity to serve you.  I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment