Thursday, October 17, 2013

Seasons of blessing vs seasons of adversity

S -Job 2 NASB

9 Then his wife said to him, “Do you still hold fast your integrity? Curse God and die!” 10 But he said to her, “You speak as one of the foolish women speaks. Shall we indeed accept good from God and not accept adversity?” In all this Job did not sin with his lips.

O - What a powerful conviction, trust,  and understanding Job had as to who he was, who God was and what the relationship really between the two.   God in His wisdom knew this about Job and allowed Satan to test him.   It was not in a small way that Satan tested him either; after many years of abundance and blessings for him and his family Job's children where all struck down and Job's own flesh was greatly afflicted causing what must have been both extreme emotional and physical despair.  But in all that He is able to respond to His own wife's  recommendation to curse God and die,  with an attitude of understanding of who He was, and who God is.   Much like Paul later declares in the new testament,  Job declares essentially that in His understanding,  that in all things (good and bad) He has learned that God is on the throne and we are to accept willfully all that God has given us.  

A -  The application for me is to recognize that I have experienced both seasons of rich blessing from the Lord, as well as seasons of adversity in which my own mind begins to question if I like following a God that would allow such adversity in my life.   In the end of all the adverse seasons   I can  always see his intentions and blessings that resulted from the season of adversity.  These can be crucible seasons in which things in my life are ground down and discarded,   my soul is correct and strengthened, for the seasons to come.   I see these seasons in the life of Joseph (what a great name!)   He had numerous seasons of adversity shaping him for the season in which he would lead his people , and the nation of Egypt as the Pharaoh's right hand man. 

P - Dear heavenly Father , thank you for today's lesson, may it be sealed to my heart.   Help me Lord to remember to have the attitude of Job, to accept both seasons of blessings and seasons of adversity with the same gratefulness and same submission to your will. I pray all of this in Jesus name, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment