Thursday, October 3, 2013

God - the source of all power, provision, and authority

S - Luke 16 nasb
8 And his [f]master praised the unrighteous manager because he had acted shrewdly; for the sons of this age are more shrewd in relation to their own [g]kind than the sons of light. 9 And I say to you, make friends for yourselves by means of the [h]wealth of unrighteousness, so that when it fails, they will receive you into the eternal dwellings.
10 “He who is faithful in a very little thing is faithful also in much; and he who is unrighteous in a very little thing is unrighteous also in much. 11 Therefore if you have not been faithful in the use of unrighteous [i]wealth, who will entrust the true riches to you? 12 And if you have not been faithful in the use of that which is another’s, who will give you that which is your own? 13 No [j]servant can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and [k]wealth.”

O -  This is a parable Jesus is telling to a group of people, who includes the pharisee's of the time.   He is quite directly telling the Pharisee's they love money and power more than they love serving God (ouch!)   Just prior to this he tells the story of the rich man who goes to hell, and the poor and afflicted man who goes to heaven and is comforted by God and his angels (again ouch!).   How much more obvious does he need to be with these religious leaders of Israel.      

A -  Both of these parables are clearly for the audience Jesus is speaking to at the time, but have timeless implications for us today.    We (me) to can easily get distracted by the riches and powers in this world.  We can even start off with the intent to follow and serve God only, but find ourselves chasing riches, authority and power in this world.  I am made of the same DNA as the Pharisee's , but thank God I have been made a new creation and can overcome through the blood of Christ. 

P -  Dear heavenly Father, I know you have already won the victory in me, but confess the temptations for power and riches in this world still distract me daily.   I am so thankful for your abundant provision in my life, help me to understand you are more than sufficient.   Help me to remember all power and authority comes from you, and that I do not need to seek it or strive for it.  I pray all of this in Jesus name, Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment