Saturday, October 26, 2013

Paul's example of obedience, self control, and wisdom

S  -Acts 26:1-2 NASB

Agrippa said to Paul, "You are permitted to speak for yourself." Then Paul stretched out his hand and proceeded to make his defense:   "In regard to all the things of which I am accused by the Jews, I consider myself fortunate, King Agrippa, that I am about to make my defense before you today;

O - Paul's long imprisonment even before having a real trial and sentence placed upon him is inspiring because it shows the great faith he had in God's plan for his life.  He followed the Holy Spirits direction on each leg of his journeys;  on this leg of the journey in his own defense Paul would be able to give his testimony and preach the Gospel to two major influential regional leaders Fetus and Agrippa.  Both men were familiar with and curious about the new followers of Jesus and the Way.  Paul could have been upset that he was unjustly imprisoned, instead he presented himself humbly and peaceful not only his defense but a rich testimony to those he presented his defense.  A testimony of Jesus, and Gods plan for all of his people.   

A -  The application for me is to recognize that I have the intense passion that Paul had but I must grow in wisdom, discernment , and self control to know when to speak passionately, when to humble myself and wait for someone to ask me to speak.  You see Paul here waited for Agrippa to say "you are permitted to speak for yourself".   Paul didn't demand it, he waited for the invitation.    I too often begin my defense or testimony (or some may say tirade)  before the time is right or before I have the invitation to speak.   I need to apply the fruit of the spirit,  gentleness and self control to know when the right time to speak is, and to seek words that clearly communicates the truth, my convictions, but not in a way that creates an offense that would be a barrier to others receiving God's truth.

P-  Dear heavenly Father, thank you for this day , your word, and your example through you Apostle Paul as to how I need to change.  I pray Lord you Holy Spirit would continue to reveal untruth in my life and replace it with your truth.  I pray for courage to speak and wisdom to choose words that represent who you are in me .   I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment