Saturday, August 31, 2013

Repent for idols in our hearts

S -Ezekiel 14


“Therefore say to the house of Israel, ‘Thus says the Lord God, “Repent and turn away from your idols and turn your faces away from all your abominations. For anyone of the house of Israel or of the immigrants who stay in Israel who separates himself from Me, sets up his idols in his heart, puts right before his face the stumbling block of his iniquity, and then comes to the prophet to inquire of Me for himself, I the Lord will be brought to answer him in My own person. I will set My face against that man and make him a sign and [e]a proverb, and I will cut him off from among My people. So you will know that I am the Lord.

O -  This is Ezekiels message to the Israelites just before their exile to Bablyon, explaining to them what they are to do, (regardless of being exiled or not).  The key for God's people unto the Lord is always to repent , turn away from our sin, in this specific case, it was idol worship.    The idols are not just physical idols, but idols set up in their hearts,  within their hearts is a stumbling block in putting God before them in all circumstances.   The consequences on not turn toward God and away from sin, is to be cut off from God. 

A - The application for me is to understand that as God's people today, in the local church, as well as in family, and in my heart,  I must repent and turn from the idols that slowly have entered my life (more importantly my heart).  Turn back toward putting God in first place. For the local church that means putting Gods plan for our church in front of our idea of what the church should be or was in the past (the idol is our vision of 2005).  For my family the idol was the house in Monterey,  the things we own, and our expectations of what our life should look like.

P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you Lord for this day you have given.  Lord I repent for my wandering heart, both in Monterey and here.  Help me to clearly see and turn from all the idols that I have placed in my heart, especially the ones I am blind.  I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment