Thursday, October 18, 2012

Following God's direction and relying on the Holy Spirit

Following God's direction and relying on the Holy Spirit
S - Act 8:14-17 (NASB)
14 Now when the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent them Peter and John, 15 who came down and prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit. 16 For He had not yet fallen upon any of them; they had simply been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then they began laying their hands on them, and they were receiving the Holy Spirit.

O - This was not an insignificant event for the Apostles to hear that the people of Samaria, whom the Jews did not associate with,  had received the word of God.  Now this was very consistent with what Jesus showed and taught them, and he himself stopped at talk with the Samarian women at the well and it resulted in many from that town believing in Jesus.  A couple of interesting observations about this is that it was because of the persecution in Jerusalem that Philip and others moved out and began preaching the Gospel through out the region. The second observation is that when the Apostles hear of this they sent Peter and John, seemingly there top two Apostles to come down and pray for the receipt of the Holy Spirit. 

A -  The application for me is to realize that I must trust in God to lead me and to provide the Holy Spirit.  Philip and the others that were scattered I am sure did not enjoy being scattered out of their comfort zones but it was part of God's plan for their life.  While I am sure they didn't enjoy it , they stayed obedient to the prompting of the Holy Spirit and preached the Gospel to those God led them before.   They didn't have to plan a way just be obedient to what God was doing.   The same goes for me in my life.   While I may feel I have been scattered somewhere that is different than I am comfortable with, I trust in God's plan for me here and wait patiently on the Lord to reveal to me whom he would have me minister to, fervently praying for the spirit to guide me.

P -  Dear heavenly Father, it is your word, and your spirit that sustains me in this season.  I know you have a good plan for my life,  but a confess my spirit flags at times in this season.  I pray Lord for a strengthening and enduring spirit to faithfully walk in this season.   I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment