Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Turning back to a graceful God

Turning back to a graceful God

S - Luke 15
“Father, I have sinned against heaven, and in your sight; 19 I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me as one of your hired men.”’ 20 So he got up and came to his father. But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and felt compassion for him, and ran and embraced him and kissed him. 21 And the son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and in your sight; I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’ 22 But the father said to his slaves, ‘Quickly bring out the best robe and put it on him, and put a ring on his hand and sandals on his feet; 23 and bring the fattened calf, kill it, and let us eat and celebrate; 24 for this son of mine was dead and has come to life again; he was lost and has been found.’ And they began to celebrate.

O - Jesus is sharing these parables of the lost sheep, the lost coin, and the prodigal son around the time when the religious leaders were questioning why he hung out so much with sinners and tax collectors.   The answer is eloquently revealed through God's love for all of us,   that though we were mired in our own sin, that when we turned away from that sin and toward God that he was ready to receive us gladly with open arms and a rejoicing spirit.

A -  The application for me is to recognize that I am a sinner saved by a loving father.   That even now as I self condemn myself for falling short of my expectations,  I am always able to turn towards God and his open arms and receive unconditional love. 

P - Dear heavenly Father thank you for your unfailing love and grace.   I know in this season I have not followed as close to you as I have in the past, but I am turning back toward you Lord now, and asking for your firm and caring embrace to help lift me out of the mire I am in.  I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment