Monday, May 24, 2010

Tribulations to build character and hope

Tribulations to build character and hope

S - Romans 5:3-5 (NASB) 3 And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance;

4and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope;

5and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

O - Tribulations bring out perseverance, a character habit that I know is important to develop, especially if I want to be effective in the work of the kingdom. What I am encouraged by this verse is the drill down of how tribulations build the character of perseverance (or patient endurance). It does so by showing us proven character, i.e., character that has been tested by circumstances to really test out how much of our character has developed. You see I can change my mind to be a more patient person, but on through trying circumstances will I see the actual change in my character. And the more I see that I am changing (not actually arrived yet) the more hope I will have in what God can actually change in me.

A - The application for me today is to understand that tribulations build perseverance and that while I may not rejoice inside me when they are occuring, my spirit must learn to rejoice and press in on building my endurance to not allow my flesh to respond. For me it is like practicing swimming underwater, the more I practice the long the distances I can swim before needing to get air. Each time I will run out of breadth, but if I practice enough I eventually will be able to swim the length of the pool without breathing, and perhaps even farther.



P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for today's lesson, may it be sealed to my heart. I pray Lord that you would continue to grow my patient endurance, revealing in to me the power of tribulations and trust in your power and grace in my life. I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment