Sunday, May 30, 2010

Investing for my children's children

Investing for my children's children
S - Prov 13:22 (NASB)
"A good man leaves an inheritance to his children's children,
And the wealth of the sinner is stored up for the righteous.

O - This is a proverb my financial planner has been speaking into my life and to be honest, I haven't completely bought into. I think that is because part of me believes each person should face some struggle on their own and that I want my children to not be given or handed down everything. But then the Holy Spirit touched my heart in a way to give me understanding that one I have received an inheritance that I never earned, and that is salvation, paid for by Christ. The second revealing principle revealed to me is that this is not just a physical or financial inheritance but a legacy in the family. In some families the legacy (inheritance) is violence, alcohol abuse, dependency, etc. God wants me to leave a different inheritance to my children, one that is so rich in depth that it carries on to my children's children.

A - The application for me is to recognize God wants me to leave the inheritance of faith and service to Him and the kingdom, in such a way that it is in the very DNA and character of my grandchildren. That will need to be done by investing in the faith and upbringing of my girls, and investment in their lives, their marriages, and their children's life to pass on the character habits of God's people. Practically this plan needs to be thought out and prayed through to consider the education, finacial, and experiential aspects.

P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for today's lesson, may it be sealed to my heart. I pray Lord that you would reveal to me your ways, and your plans for raising my girls in a way which will reach my children's children. I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment