Sunday, November 8, 2015

He chose me because of weakness

S1 Cor 1:18-21, 26-29 (NASB)
18For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
19For it is written,
"I will destroy the wisdom of the wise,
And the cleverness of the clever I will set aside."
20Where is the wise man? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? 21For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not come to know God, God was well-pleased through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe
...
26For consider your calling, brethren, that there were not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble; 27but God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to shame the things which are strong,28and the base things of the world and the despised God has chosen, the things that are not, so that He may nullify the things that are, 29so that no man may boast before God.

O - Paul here is really trying to turn the believers perspective away from their own foolishness, which is belief in their own wisdom, from their own strength which is truly their weakness, toward God who in His weakest is still stronger, and in his most simple things is wiser than our smartest things.   I think Paul knows that in Christ we gain a new confidence and that confidence can be turned against us as our pride begins to replace what God has done in us, a transformation from self reliance to God reliance, from individual led, to Christ led.  

A -  The application for me is to realize that I have allowed my life which I have professed a commitment to Christ,  to turn back toward my old ways of self reliance and personal wisdom.  I realize I have likely thought better of myself than I ought to have in the past, I am broken and flawed and confess I need a savior.  I had forgotten I had a savior because I couldn't be my own.  I also have to realize that it is in my weakness that He is strong, and that He has chosen me because of my condition, to share the Good News of who Jesus is, and how he can use even someone like me.

P - Dear heavenly Father,thank  you for Jesus, thank you that you died for my sins, and have called me to your side.    I pray Lord for a restoration and healing for my inequities that I might boast of you and be free from the temptations and negative thoughts of the enemy.  I pray this in Jesus name. Amen.







No comments:

Post a Comment