Sunday, October 12, 2014

Waiting patiently on the Lord

S ACT 1:6-8 NASB
So when they had come together, they were asking Him, saying, "Lord, is it at this time You are restoring the kingdom to Israel?" He said to them, "It is not for you to know times or epochs which the Father has fixed by His own authority;  but you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth."

O - Jesus is spending His last moments on earth with His disciples after His resurrection but before His ascension.  The disciples who know exactly who Jesus is, and have seen him first hand do so many things, seem to ask these simple but naive questions.  Likely naive because they didn't have the benefit of years of study of the new testament (my own mental model).   In this case they asked, is it now Lord you are restoring the kingdom of God to Israel.  This was the prophesy of what the Messiah would do, and having seen Jesus, not lead a revolution and take over the Nation of Israel and kick out the Romans, but instead die unjustly on the cross.   Jesus reply is one that we all can learn from in How God works :  "it is not for you to know the times...which the Father has fixed by His own authority".  In other words,  don't focus on When but what His promise is.

A -  The application for me is to recognize that I must grow comfortable and confident on God's promises to me;  promises received through His word and through His Holy spirit.  I can still remember asking God what His plans for me are and Him responding - "I could tell you but I can not trust you to try and take control."    

P -  Dear heavenly Father, thank you for being a faithful God , who has a plan for my life.  I surrender to your will and your plan for me life and pray for the patience and strength to wait on you and your plan.  I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen.    

No comments:

Post a Comment