Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Serving my wife without expectation

S LUK 14:12-14 NASB
And He also went on to say to the one who had invited Him, "When you give a luncheon or a dinner, do not invite your friends or your brothers or your relatives or rich neighbors, otherwise they may also invite you in return and that will be your repayment.  But when you give a reception, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind,  and you will be blessed, since they do not have the means to repay you; for you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous."

 O -  Jesus was doing some good preachin when he spoke these words.  They were primarily to his disciples as he tried to get them to think differently than the current culture.    He had just finished explaining to them to not sit in the place of honor when arriving at a place you are invited, but rather sit at the low place for it is much better to be asked to move up, than move back.   Now he turns and explains how to be a good host.   Do not invite those who will repay you with good deeds for that is what they will do and you will not receive the blessing of giving to those who cannot repay you. These are kingdom principles, first and foremost that we cannot repay God for the sacrifice His son made on our behalf, we can simply be thankful, and out of a thankful heart, love God.  Second we are called to serve, and the very act of service is full of joy when it is done without expected repayment.

A - The application for me is broad across my life, but I feel the spirit of God speaking today into my marriage, that my acts of service to serve my wife cannot be done with the expectations of repayment or quid pro quo.  It can only be done out of love, with no expectations of repayment.  When I later get frustrated that my good deeds are not acknowledge or what I feel is reciprocated,  I become embittered and defensive, create cracks of separation.  Today I am exhorted by this word of God to continue to serve my wife how Jesus served us, without expectation of repayment, but only to provide a closer relationship.

P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for your willingness to help me disect your word, so that you may disect my heart.  I pray that you continue to speak life into my life and my marriage to Abby.  I pray that you would protect our marriage from external influences, and continue to build ourselves closer to each other, for your glory.  In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment