Saturday, March 22, 2014

Loving my wife

S- 1 Corinthians 7:3-5 NASB

The husband must fulfill his duty to his wife, and likewise also the wife to her husband. The wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does; and likewise also the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does.  Stop depriving one another, except by agreement for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer, and come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.

O - This passage from a letter from Paul to the Church at Corinth is likely addressing some very real incidents in that church.  The church was facing multiple wandering areas,  sinners within the church, in one case a man who was sleeping with his fathers wife.   The church at Corinth was not one of the typical Jewish culture, they were surround by much more of the Greek culture of multiple God's,  the Goddess of love I believe had her temple there.  It's not surprising Paul had to address the unrighteous behavior of even those who had committed them self to Christ.  Here in this passage we see Paul describing the role of a righteous husband and wife.  Since the sin of adultery and the temptation of flesh is so strong Paul lays out God's design for one man one woman.  In order to avoid sin a husband and wife are to serve one another's needs, but at the same time give authority to the other to care for and meet the needs of. 

A -  What a great reminder and exhortation to me to be sure I am surrendering myself to my wife.  To be sure I am meeting her physical needs , and not focusing on my own.   This is my husbandly duty.  Often times I think I am meeting her needs well, when in fact I am simply serving her in the way I would want to be served,  which has a good heart, but still leaves parts of her needs unmet.  For my wife part of her physical needs are simply quality time.  At this stage in our life this means quiet , peaceful, adult conversation, full of warmth and sharing, with no condemnation. 

P -  Dear heavenly Father , thank you for today's important message for me to love my wife and you have commanded and designed me to do.  I pray Lord that you transform my heart and mind to see my wife as you see her, to love my wife like you love her,  to treat her like the child of God she is, and treasure the gift in her you have given to me.   I pray all this in Jesus name.

No comments:

Post a Comment