Thursday, March 20, 2014

Christ's finished work - our zeal for God's house

S- Psalms 69:9 NASB

For zeal for Your house has consumed me, And the reproaches of those who reproach You have fallen on me.

Psalms 69:20-21 NASB

Reproach has broken my heart and I am so sick. And I looked for sympathy, but there was none, And for comforters, but I found none. They also gave me gall for my food And for my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.

O - This is a psalm of David who was full of the Holy Spirit.  He had the ability to both reflect on his own experiences and seek the Lord, as well as in this case prophecy what Christ would go through one day.  In the New Testament we see the example of Christ zeal for His house when he overturns the money changers tables.    In verse 20-21 we see in the end the great reproach that Christ faced in the end.  During most of his life Christ, though he at times walk with opposition , found favor wherever he went.  In contrast in the end - He stood alone, reproached by all, comforted by none.  Then the Roman guards who had shown no mercy before this point, while Christ was on the cross gave his gall and vinegar as prophesied here.    All of this in fullfilment of our perfect atonement, our living sacrifice for our sins.   Christ perfectly represented the atonement sacrifice, and once and for all paid the price for our sins.

A -  The application for me is to first and foremost live in the truth that Christ is my savior.  To not ever forget the passion he has for my salvation and the zeal he has for God's house.    I must always remember not what I have done, but what finished work He has done on the Cross.   Second I need to seek to be like Christ and have the zeal for God's church consume me, to never lose the passion to see His church alive and well , here in Hawaii , and throughout the world.   I must also recognize like the reproach Christ faced there is is a cost to serving Him.  The cost is not death, for we have eternal life through Christ.  The cost at time will be persecution and lack of sympathy and comfort.  These are all temporal and of the flesh, and Christ's spirit and God's love is sufficient to help us through those time of being abandoned by those around us.

P -  Dear heavenly Father, thank  you for today's lesson, may it be sealed to my heart.  Lord I pray in this season that I do not lose zeal for your house.  While I can't say I am directly serving your house, my zeal remains and my support of the priests you have placed to cover your house maintains.  I pray over this summer the opportunity to tithe to the strengthening of your house at the sand island New Hope ministry center.    I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment