Thursday, July 11, 2013

Beware of pride - we are all instruments of God


S - Isaiah 10
15 Is the axe to boast itself over the one who chops with it?
Is the saw to exalt itself over the one who wields it?
That would be like club wielding those who lift it,
Or like a rod lifting him who is not wood.
16 Therefore the Lord, the God of hosts, will send a wasting disease among his stout warriors;
And under his glory a fire will be kindled like a burning flame.
17 And the light of Israel will become a fire and his Holy One a flame,

O - This warning or prophesy by Isaiah was about the Assyria leaders who God used to discipline Israel.   It spoke to their pride for being successful and how that arrogance vice reverence for the God who gave them that power and authority would be also corrected just as the Israelites were corrected.   You see as instruments of God we all can become prideful of our skill and success, instead of understanding without the hand of God we would be useless instruments.  This is a direct warning for all that pride begets the fall.

A- The application for me is to remember to stay focused on being a humble instrument of God in all that I do.  There are seasons of great success in which I can begin to feel pride welling up inside,the kind of pride that begins me to start trusting in my own success in my own power.  Without God I am nothing.   I must continue to remember that;  in seasons of success and in seasons of defeat it is the same lesson,  I am nothing without God.

P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for today's devotion.  May it be sealed to my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment