Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Jesus our royal priest

Jesus our royal priest
S - Hebrews 7
22 so much the more also Jesus has become the guarantee of a better covenant.
23 The former priests, on the one hand, existed in greater numbers because they were prevented by death from continuing, 24 but Jesus, on the other hand, because He continues forever, holds His priesthood permanently. 25 Therefore He is able also to save forever those who draw near to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them.
26 For it was fitting for us to have such a high priest, holy, innocent, undefiled, separated from sinners and exalted above the heavens; 27 who does not need daily, like those high priests, to offer up sacrifices, first for His own sins and then for the sins of the people, because this He did once for all when He offered up Himself. 28 For the Law appoints men as high priests who are weak, but the word of the oath, which came after the Law, appoints a Son, made perfect forever.

O - Jesus is the priest that I could never be.   In this chapter of Hebrews the author explains the old testament Priesthood through Aaron and the tribe of Levi, and the giving of the law as something temporary and not complete.   This is the struggle of man, who while even desiring God cannot on his own self discipline achieve full reconciliation with God the Father without an intercessor who is perfect and will intercede for all time.   Jesus is our eternal priest and while we maintain a degree of imperfection in us, we have a royal priest who intercedes for us with God, so we may have continued relationship with God our father and creator.  

A - The application for me is that while I continue to stumble and even backslide,  I continue to have Jesus as my perfect priest who intercedes for me.  As long as I come repentant to him,  he is faithful to receive me,  and intercede for me.  I must not forget I still have my part to play, and that is keeping Jesus as Lord of my life.  I must go to him in confession, in need, and open to his guidance.  He is strong and faithful and delivers on his promises.

P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for today's devotion, may it be sealed to my heart.  Lord I pray now for a significant intercession, that if in anyway I have disobeyed, or sinned against you in this move, that you would forgive me.  I pray for help in healing any hurt in my family, in my marriage and my life tso that I may once again lead with hope, joy,, and all the fruits of the spirit in me.  Thank you Jesus for you choosing to be my priest, and choosing me.  I love you,  in Jesus Name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment