Monday, October 3, 2011

The Law and Prophets - still applicable today

The Law and Prophets - still applicable today

S -  Luke 16:16-17 (NASB)

  16 “The Law and the Prophets were proclaimed until John; since that time the gospel of the kingdom of God has been preached, and everyone is forcing his way into it. 17 But it is easier for heaven and earth to pass away than for one stroke of a letter of the Law to fail.

O - Jesus is speaking to the Jews and Pharisee's here to let them know that the Law and the prophets before him proclaimed truth, and when He came into to world it was to spread the good news of the Kingdom of God.   But part of that news was going to be a shock to some Jews and Pharisee's who have been forcing their own ways in following the letter of the law.  In other words they knew the Law, and judged others to live according to the law while they themselves had unclean hearts and motives, and their way of following the Law did not honor God but themselves.   And thus Jesus says, not one stroke of the letter of the Law will fail, but instead people will be judged against the truth of the Law.  The good news is that reconcilation with God no longer required us to give the sacrifice, as was according to the Law, but since Christ paid our debt in full, we were free to live according to the Law restored to God the Father.

A - The application for me is to recognize that the entire bible reveals God, His law, and His perfect plan for us.  I know I had for many years not wanted to engage in learning from the old testament, or the law.  The freedom of the Gospel for me was freedom from judgement and condemnation.  While this is true, I realize now that God's law was perfect from the beginning and that my obedience to it was not only necessary but possible in the freedom Christ is bringing to my life.   I must continue to check my own heart to ensure I am not rebelling against the Law and the Prophets, but rather submitting to Christ and His leadership.

P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for this lesson,  I am amazed at your grace and wisdom, especially in leading me.  Lord help me to take this new wisdom and apply to my heart, mind, and hands, so that I might live more fully according to your will.  I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment