Friday, October 7, 2011

Those who receive God's wisdom and revelation, more is given

Those who receive God's wisdom and revelation, more is given
S - Luke 20:108 (NASB) 
 1 On one of the days while He was teaching the people in the temple and preaching the gospel, the chief priests and the scribes with the elders confronted Him2 and they spoke, saying to Him, “Tell us by what authority You are doing these things, or who is the one who gave You this authority?” 3 Jesus answered and said to them, “I will also ask you aquestion, and you tell Me: 4 Was the baptism of John from heaven or from men?” 5 They reasoned among themselves, saying, “If we say, ‘From heaven,’ He will say, ‘Why did you not believe him?’ 6 But if we say, ‘From men,’ all the people will stone us to death, for they are convinced that John was a prophet.” 7 So they answered that they did not know where it came from. 8 And Jesus said to them, “Nor will I tell you by what authority I do these things.”

O - Men often pretend to examine the evidences of revelation, and the truth of the gospel, when only seeking excuses for their own unbelief and disobedience. Christ answered these priests and scribes with a plain question about the baptism of John, which the common people could answer. They all knew it was from heaven, nothing in it had an earthly tendency. Those that bury the knowledge they have, are justly denied further knowledge. It was just with Christ to refuse to give account of his authority, to those who knew the baptism of John to be from heaven, yet would not believe in him, nor own their knowledge (Matthew Henry Concise)

Jesus had forced the Pharisees either to acknowledge that they had refused to heed a messenger of God, or to expose themselves to popular disfavor. 8. Neither tell I you. Why Should he explain the truth concerning himself when they would not believe the truth about John, who was his forerunner?—Wycliffe Bible Commentary

Scripturally this passage is consistent with the parable of the talens.  To whom who takes what is given and does something with it, much more will be given to them.  But to them that bury the treasure that is given to them, all their treasure will be taken away and given to those who will do something.

A - The application for me is to make sure I am doing something with the revelations God is revealing to me in my life.  I like to believe I have done things with what God has revealed to me, but if I was to dig deeply into the promises he has spoken into my life, I have not walked in trust and faith that what He says applies to me.  I often still worry about provision, and blessings upon things I am doing.  I need to walk in the truth's He has told me and not worry so much about what I can do in circumstances. 

P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for today's devotions may it be sealed to my heart.  I pray Lord that you would be my vision and I would walk in faith in your truth and revelation in my life.  I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment