Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Refuting discouragement

Refuting  discouragement
S - Neh 6:6-9 (NASB)
“It is reported among the nations, and Gashmu says, that you and the Jews are planning to rebel; therefore you are rebuilding the wall. And you are to be their king, according to these reports. 7 You have also appointed prophets to proclaim in Jerusalem concerning you, ‘A king is in Judah!’ And now it will be reported to the king according to these reports. So come now, let us take counsel together.” 8 Then I sent a message to him saying, “Such things as you are saying have not been done, but you are inventing them in your own mind.” 9 For all of them were trying to frighten us, thinking, “They will become discouraged with the work and it will not be done.” But now, O God, strengthen my hands.

O - In rebuilding the walls of Jerusalem, Nehemiah faced many challenges.  Doubters discouraging him and the workers,  enemies just waiting for a slip up, other kings plotting to bring harm to him.    As the project was coming to a finish, all that could be done was for this detractors was to spread rumors and try and turn what was of God and for God into something that would sound selfish and power seeking.  Nehemiah's response was of God, as He knew where his calling came from.  Previous communications with these kings, Nehemiah had simply ignored them, but here is see in verse 8, Nehemiah s response, to refute the lies, speak the truth, and then turn to God for his strength.

A - The application for me is to recognize in my own callings from God, there will be circumstances and people who will discourage me from working for God's best.   I need to follow Nehemiahs example and speak the truth in confidence (not in anger), and then turn to God for strength to press through the final push to kingdom victory (or victory that Glorifies God).

P -  Dear heavenly Father, thank you for today's lesson, may it be sealed to my heart.  Lord I pray that you would help me press through external discouragements and even my own discouraging thoughts, at work, at home, and in ministry.  I pray Lord that you would renew your vision in my life, and increase my confidence in who you are in me, and give me strength to press forward to the task at hand.  I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment