Monday, August 16, 2010

Reclaiming the kingdom of God in me

Reclaiming the kingdom of God in me
S - John 17:36 (NASB)
36Jesus answered, "My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom were of this world, then My servants would be fighting so that I would not be handed over to the Jews; but as it is, My kingdom is not of this realm."

O - Jesus' response to Pilate's question "are you king of the Jews?" is revealing, and as is always with Jesus not aligned with what the world would be expecting to hear. Even for the Jews it must have been confusing, their expectations of a savior was that of a King, like David, that would fight and win their battles for them. You can't really blame them, the models they had to refer to where Moses, leading the people from slavery in Egypt, David fighting the Philistines, despite the disadvantaged size, even when released from captivity in Babylon, it was for the purpose regaining the promised land. At least that is what it might appear on the surface. But really God was pursuing his people, the entire time. He did not desire their land in the world, but the space in their hearts that he owned.

A - I think Jesus is just reminding me that I am not to be fighting for this world, but fighting in this world for his kingdom. My fight is first within myself and in my heart to ensure that I have maintained the kingdom of God in my heart. Jesus died once and for all to ensure that the kingdom of God could be within me. My fight in the world is simply that, to ensure I guard my heart (God's kingdom), and help others to stake claim to the kingdom of God by helping them fight the world, evicting the world from their hearts, so that the kingdom of God may move in.

P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for today's devotion may it be sealed to my heart. Thank you Lord for helping me reclaim some lost territory in my heart today, by rejuninating your word in me. I pray Lord that you continue to ignite that spark in me through your spirit to be connected, heart, mind, body, and soul with you and your kingdom. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment