Wednesday, May 25, 2022

To die in Christ is to gain new life

 S-Rom 6:1-4,11-12 NIV

What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? By no means! We are those who have died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.

11 In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus. 12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires.

O - Here Paul is teaching the church in Rome what it means to have died with Christ and been born again.   In particular we have died to the sin that used to reign in us, but have been set free from that sin and are now slaves to Christ or His righteousness.   Before Christ whether we desired to do right or just plain sinned for selfish reasons we were slave to that nature and all fall short in this old testament way of living.  But we have a savior who has freed us from our sin and dwells inside of us now guiding and prompting our living toward righteousness.

A -  The application for me is to be reminded of my baptism where I died with Christ and all my sins, but was raised again new.  I am to be renewed in Christ and divorced from my sinful nature.  It is because of what Christ has already done I am able to walk in freedom.  I merely need to die to my old self and embrace the new creation that God has made me.

P - Dear heavenly father thank you for today's word, may it be sealed to my heart.  I lay down my past sinful ways and look forward to the new creation you have made me to be.  I pray for the courage and wisdom to walk in your righteous ways.  I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment