Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Faithfully stewarding abundance

S- 1 Tim 6:6-11,17-19 (NASB)
But godliness actually is a means of great gain when accompanied by contentment. For we have brought nothing into the world, so we cannot take anything out of it either. If we have food and covering, with these we shall be content. But those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a snare and many foolish and harmful desires which plunge men into ruin and destruction. 10 For the love of money is a root of all [g]sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.
11 But flee from these things, you man of God, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, [h]perseverance and gentleness.
...
17 Instruct those who are rich in this present world not to be conceited or to fix their hope on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly supplies us with all things to enjoy. 18 Instruct them to do good, to be rich in good [m]works, to be generous and ready to share, 19 storing up for themselves the treasure of a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of that which is life indeed.

O- The timelessness of Paul's message to Timothy speaks to the Godly truth about our lives and how we are to live it if we want to be truly content.   Being able to be content in all things is the secret to this life,  God's provision is real, but if we are provided beyond having food and shelter provided for is that is all just icing on the cake.  Unfortunately I have observed and even been guilty of letting the love of money distort my view in the world.  The more the wealth and privilege you have the more temptations this world throws in front of you, even to the point of wandering awaiting our faith.  Verse 18 gives us the guidance of how to live in a life of abundant provision by the Lord,  we are to do good, and be rich in good works, being generous with your wealth and not storing it up money for the accumulation of wealth , but rather storing up good works to build a foundation for the future.

A -  The application for me is to reevaluate my goals in this second half of my life.  The lord has gifted me with gifts and talents, and now a second career as a small business owner and a chance to provide abundantly for my family.   I must take this abundance and invest in contentment by using this abundance to do good works for the community I am in.

P -  Thank you Lord for your word, your provision, and most of all your Grace and love.  Your message is timely as I come out of the valley of darkness into your abundant promised land.  I must not forget my lessons of what brought me to the valley, and faithfully steward the resources you have given me.  Lord help me to see your vision for my life, and guide me along the way that I may not wander far from your path.  I pray all this in Jesus name.

No comments:

Post a Comment