Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Guarding against the hubris of success and position

Guarding against the hubris of success and position 
S- 2 Chron 26 NIV
3 Uzziah was sixteen years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem fifty-two years. His mother’s name was Jekoliah; she was from Jerusalem.   4 He did what was right in the eyes of the Lord, just as his father Amaziah had done.   5 He sought God during the days of Zechariah, who instructed him in the fear of God. As long as he sought the Lord, God gave him success.

 16 But after Uzziah became powerful, his pride led to his downfall. He was unfaithful to the Lord his God, and entered the temple of the Lord to burn incense on the altar of incense.   17 Azariah the priest with eighty other courageous priests of the Lord followed him in.   18 They confronted King Uzziah and said, “It is not right for you, Uzziah, to burn incense to the Lord. That is for the priests,the descendants of Aaron,who have been consecrated to burn incense. Leave the sanctuary, for you have been unfaithful; and you will not be honored by the Lord God.” 

O- Uzziah was not a bad King,  he was simply human.    Time and again we see God’s leaders start off right and not finish well.   From Moses to David and from David to up to Jesus,  many sought to lead the Lord’s people well and sought the Lords’ guidance and direction in their daily roles as leader.  They all fell though,  and Uzziah was no different.   Once he became powerful, pride or “hubris” became his downfall.   

A-  The lessons from this are significant to me, as the Lord has given me people to lead.  He expects me to steward this authority well.    I though and no better than Moses, David, or any of the Kings we read about in the Bible.  I am vulnerable to allowing arrogance swell up and my own position or success cause me to become unfaithful.   So what can I do.   I am not exactly sure other than seek God on this matter.  From this passage of scripture in verse 5 we see a part of the answer:

  1. Seek God - in all decisions you are making he will not let your arrogance get in the way of making good decisions.
  2. Fear God -   Not sure what comes first,  but out of a healthy fear of the Lord I will always want to seek the Lord for his direction.
  3. Put a trusted prophet or priest as your advisor at all times.    While prophets and priests can’t bear the burden of leadership,  they stand as those who are constantly seeking and hearing the Lord, and a good one will be willing to share with you the truth of what God is saying about a situation.

P -  Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for today’s lesson,may it be sealed to my heart.  I pray Lord that you would guide me in every decision I make, and make known to me the prophets you have placed in my life.   I pray Lord that you would continue to guide and anoint me as a leader over your people and those you are calling to you.  I pray for protection from the Hubris that comes from success and positional authorities you have given me.  May I always fear you and seek you.   I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment