Sunday, June 24, 2018

Godliness and contentment

Godliness and Contentment 
S- 1 Tim 6 NIV
6 But godliness with contentment is great gain. 7 For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. 8 But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. 9 Those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction.   10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

O - This is Paul’s reminder to Timothy who he sent to a church (Ephesus I believe) to help them stay on track in their faith.  The young church, who likely received the Gospel with great joy was now in that period where the adrenaline of being saved begins to fade and the worries and wants of the world begin to draw you away from godliness and contentment.   He is instructing Timothy for himself as well as for those he is shepherding to be reminded how little we need, simply food and clothing and to learn contentment in all things, and to focus on the attributes of godliness and joy will be their’s.

A -  The application to me is to remind myself of this contentment.  My current circumstance has me abundantly supplied with food and clothing and shelter.  My work is very challenging and rewarding.    All seems to be falling into place for a season of peace and prosperity and I fully intend to enjoy this gift from God.  I however and keenly aware of the seasonal nature of this world, and that God has not called me to be a settler here.  So I must be content and focus on godly responses to my circumstances.   I cannot allow my circumstances to dictate my contentment or my responses.


P - Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for today’s opportunity to reflect on all that you have done and are doing in my life.  I am content in you.  I pray that your spirit would guide me in godliness, and that I would continue to shine your light into this world.  In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment