Thursday, September 28, 2017

How to pray

How to pray
S Luke 11
Father, hallowed be Your name. Your kingdom come.
3 ‘Give us each day our daily bread.
4 ‘And forgive us our sins, For we ourselves also forgive everyone who is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation.’”

I tell you, even though he will not get up and give him anythingbecause he is his friend, yet because of his persistence he will get up and give him as much as he needs.
9 “So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 10 For everyone who asks, receives; and he who seeks, finds; and to him who knocks, it will be opened. 11 Now suppose one of you fathers is asked by his son for a fish; he will not give him a snake instead of a fish, will he? 12 Or if he is asked for an egg, he will not give him a scorpion, will he? 13 If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him?”

O - In this chapter of Luke, the disciples ask Jesus how to pray, or teach them how to pray like he taught John's disciples. It is here he gives the well known lords prayer and follows it with a story of being persistent in asking. The parable speaks of a neighbor or friend who comes and asks and at first is refused but is persistent, and has given all he needs.  It goes on to say that how can even a sinful father give good gifts to his children and how much more so well heavenly father give us yes , including the ultimate gift, his Holy Spirit.

A - The application for me is to rejoice and remember the importance of prayer in my own life. I know at times I lean to prayer in times of trouble because I feel desperate and alone. Hopeless. But the Lord is telling me be persistent in your prayers allow your conversations with God to be shaped by the Holy Spirit in dialogue so that your prayers will be holy spirit formed and the father will rejoice and gladly give abundantly.


P - dear heavenly father, thank you for today's devotion, may it be sealed to my heart. Lord I pray that your Holy Spirit would guide my each and every prayer, and that you would reminds me today's lesson when I forget, I am prompted me to pray persistently and frequently. I pray all this in Jesus Christ name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment